From Isaiah...

Jehovah’s Coming and the Thief in the Night

Peter and Paul both predict that the “Day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night” (1 Thessalonians 5:2; 2 Peter 3:10), referring to Jesus’ prediction that the events surrounding his second coming would resemble a thief breaking and entering a house when its owner wasn’t watching (Matthew 24:43). According to the Hebrew prophets, the “Day of the Lord” or “Day of Jehovah” is a worldwide judgment that precedes Jehovah’s coming to reign on the earth (Isaiah 2:12; 13:6, 9; Jeremiah 46:10; Ezekiel 13:5; 30:3; Joel 1:15; 2:31; Amos 5:18). It isn’t Jehovah/Jesus who comes as a thief in the night, therefore, but rather the events associated with his coming.

On the other hand, there is an actual thief who precedes Jehovah’s coming: the end-time “king of Assyria.” As a world conqueror, he robs the world of its wealth, boasting, “I have done it by my own ability and shrewdness, for I am ingenious. I have done away with the borders of nations, I have ravaged their reserves, I have vastly reduced the inhabitants. I have impounded the wealth of peoples like a nest, and I have gathered up the whole world as one gathers abandoned eggs; not one flapped its wings, or opened its mouth to utter a peep” (Isaiah 10:13–14). In the end, however, this archtyrant leaves none of his booty behind (Isaiah 10:12, 15–18, 24–27).



See more here and here
Study more in-depth

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post a comment!