From Isaiah...

The Harlot Babylon—Anti-Ideal for Women

In opposition to the Woman Zion in the Book of Isaiah appears the harlot Babylon. Besides representing a wicked world, she exemplifies the undesirable traits of womanhood and serves as a kind of anti-ideal or false model. Completely engrossed in herself, she manipulates those who inhabit her world, including the Woman Zion, to serve her selfish purpose: “I was provoked by my people, so I let my inheritance be defiled. I gave them into your hand, and you showed them no mercy; even the aged you weighed down heavily with your yoke. You thought, ‘I, the Eternal Mistress, exist forever!’ and did not consider these, or remember her final destiny” (Isaiah 47:6–7).

As her domination of her environment increases, she begins to rival God, so God punishes her: “Secure in your wickedness, you thought, ‘No one discerns me.’ By your skill and science you were led astray, thinking to yourself, ‘I exist, and there is none besides me!’ Catastrophe shall overtake you, which you shall not know how to avert by bribes; disaster shall befall you from which you cannot ransom yourself: there shall come upon you sudden ruin such as you have not imagined” (Isaiah 47:10–11). In Isaiah’s structural model of a Greater Babylon, those of God’s people who possess her dictatorial traits form an integral part of Babylon and thus suffer her fate.



See more here and here
Study more in-depth

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post a comment!